Sat, 27 Jan|
The Creative Community Campus
Concertina sketchbook development workshop, with Shona Mackenzie
Time & Location
27 Jan 2024, 10:30 am – 28 Jan 2024, 3:00 pm
The Creative Community Campus, 159 17th Avenue, Tauranga South, Tauranga 3112, New Zealand
About the event
In this exciting two-day workshop you'll learn how to create your own budget friendly concertina sketchbook and why these versatile books have become integral to my practice.
You will leave with your own handmade concertina sketchbook and a brain brimming with ideas!
Saturday & Sunday
27th & 28th January
10.30am - 3pm
The Creative Campus
Suitable for beginners through to more experienced artists.
Some basic materials provided by tutor - card for making your concertina, some collage materials, rubbing alcohol, water spray bottles, a variety of basic drawing materials and mark making tools. Small amounts of the following products are available to purchase on the day if you don't have any or are unsure if you will use a product again - Gesso, gloss medium, glazing medium,
Participants must bring:
● An apron or shirt
● A rag or baby wipes
● Lunch (or there is a cafe on sight)
● A pair of scissors
● Ruler - metal preferably
● A bone folder if you have one
● Masking tape - not low tack
● Interesting papers to collage such as packaging papers, tissue, old letters, old sewing or knitting papers, old books, lettering, textured or hand made papers etc
● Gloss or satin acrylic medium
● A selection of acrylic paints or inks (we will refine our palette on Saturday but having a choice of colours is great to begin with)
● A generous mixing palette (I encourage use of a wet palette so a small tray with paper towels and baking paper would be perfect)
● A water jar that fits your biggest brush
● A variety of drawing mediums, such as oil pastels, charcoal, graphite, wax crayons, pencils, a black biro, dipping pen, paint pens. Just bring what you have, don't go buying anything special.
● At least one large paint brush, say 8-10 cms wide. Cheap ones available from DIY stores or Paper Plus Bethlehem.
● A collection of mark making tools (this list is not exhaustive and you don't need all of these but some ideas are:) big to small, rough to smooth brushes, toothbrush, pipette or dropper, palette knives, old credit card, comb, fork, skewers, spatula, twig, textured fabric, cotton wool buds, bubble wrap, stencils etc
● Fine sandpaper
● On Sunday you will need two thick pieces of card and glue for sketchbook covers
One of the Incubators resident Artists, Shona Mackenzie has had lifelong involvement in the Arts and a background in design and education. She describes herself as a habitual visual collector. “I am always subconsciously searching for special moments in nature. It could be the movement of the breeze through a field or the dawn mist hugging a forest, but the essence of what I see is savoured and stored. In time, these images reappear unbidden in my art.” Much of Shona’s semi-abstract work is based upon the landscape. Through this lens she explores long forgotten memories, what it means to call two countries home and generational echoes of emotion. Shona works intuitively, mostly in mixed media and letting her materials guide her next move.
Facebook - Shona Mackenzie Art, Instagram - @shonamackenzie_art
- Ticket type
+$6.00 service fee+$6.00 service fee